Saturday, January 23, 2010

Rub that Bird the Right Way

This delicious rub only has three ingredients. I made this for the first time around November. People keep asking for it. So many people have asked for it in the last few months, that I have had it once a week for the past three weeks.

Spicy Bird Rub Recipe:
The first time I made it for Mel I used a 3 lb. whole chicken. I stirred 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon chili powder, and 1 tablespoon cumin powder. I basted it on the chicken and slow cooked it covered for three hours on 325 degrees in my favortie stone bowl. I uncovered it and cooked it for a half and hour. The skin looked black. The chicken melted off the bones as Mel carved it.

For Christmas, I doubled the rub for a 6 lb turkey breast. My family loved it. Usually, they ask Mel to cook the turkey. I expected them to be disappointed that I had cook the turkey this year, but they weren't.

In the past three weeks, I have made it three more time. My cousin invited us over for dinner and asked me to bring that recipe, so I made it with a whole chicken again. Due to a snow storm, we couldn't go, so Mel transformed my chicken into tacos. This recipe makes the chicken so tasty that the tacos didn't need any other seasonings. I had to buy another whole chicken for when we rescheduled the cancelled dinner and my cousin and her husband ate almost the whole chicken. Tonight, I made it for the recipe party (mentioned in the previous post). Everyone loved it.

It's so simple that people are shocked when I tell them what goes into the rub.

When I'm ready to eat this again, I think I'm going to change it up and baste it onto fish or tofu.

Happy Cooking,
Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment