Friday, February 19, 2010

Baked Bean Casserole

When I tried this recipe I found I eliminated the hot dogs, since Mel and I are trying to eat more vegetarian. We didn't miss the meat because it had a great flavor without it. The fun about casseroles is how easy they are to adjust for different diets.

Instead of using processed potatoes for the topping, you can substitute homemade varities, such as mash potatoes, hash browns or cut potatoes. The original recipe called for Mexicorn, but I substituted frozen corn mixed with peppers and onions. A variety of vegetables could be used instead. Since the beans and potatoes are starchy, you could eliminate the corn and use less starchy vegetables instead for diabetics.

Casseroles like this one are a great way to use up leftovers or canned goods or frozen foods. It's a good thing that casseroles are making a come back.

Recipe: I mixed a can of baked beans, 1 cup salsa in a baking dish. I stirred together frozen corn and pepper strips and copped onion together, before combining with the beans and salsa. Then stir in 1/2 cup of Cheddar cheese. I prefer sharp for a little more kick in flavor. Top with frozen Tater Tots. Bake at 400 degress for 30 minutes. Then sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheese onto casserole. Bake until cheese melts and it is bubbly, which I think was about 2-5 minutes.

I bet this will be a crowd pleaser, especially for kids.

Happy cooking,
Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment