Friday, February 19, 2010

Homemade Cereal

Recipe: 1 3/4 cup of whole oats, 3/4 cup pecans, 6 tablespoons of maple syrup, 6 tablespoon of butter/margarine Mix all ingredients together and spread over a baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden. Cool and crumble. It will last for 2 weeks in an airtight container.

I think the maple syrup is too mild according to the above recipe. You could definitely add a couple more tablespoons of syrup if you like sweeter cereal.

I found that if you forget the butter, the cereal will burn. Oops! I had to throw out my first batch because of this. Since I used the last of my nuts on the first batch, I had to go without in the second. In other words, the nuts can be optional if you don't like them. At a later date, I used walnuts instead and loved it just the same. I also added a tablespoon or two of wheat germ to one batch to add more fiber and vitamins. Mel didn't realize. I can't believe I actually fooled Mr. Super Palette.

Mel liked it with milk for breakfast and with yogurt for a snack.

I wanted to make some and give as gifts in small canning jars, but waited too close to Christmas to find jars at short notice. Oh well, maybe next year I will give a small jar of this healthy homemade cereal to my family, friends and Santa. What says "I love you" more than a healthy homemade present. Hey, at least it's not fruitcake.

Healthy cooking and eating,
Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment